Healthy Cooking Tips: Wholesome and Nutritious Cooking Tips
Healthy Cooking Tips Wholesome and Nutritious Cooking Tips
Healthy Cooking Tips Wholesome and Nutritious Cooking Tips I am always trying to make my cooking, my family meals and my diet a little bit healthier. I am by no means a saint and do “fall off the wagon” occasionally however these simple, healthy cooking tips can make a big difference to the overall health of my family. I now try to adopt these tips into my everyday cooking. If I can save a few calories with these simple tips then I don’t feel bad about indulging in that sweet treat after dinner on occasion!
Healthy Cooking: Wholesome and Nutritious Cooking Tips
- Scatter a handful of walnuts on your salad. These nuts have more of the good Omega-3 fatty acids than any other nut.
- Make a salad super-healthy by adding a handful of washed watercress. This slightly bitter leaf contains more vitamin C than oranges, more calcium than milk and more iron than spinach.
- Where it calls for mayonnaise in a recipe, substitute ½ for fresh yoghurt with a squeeze of lemon juice to save you some kilojoules.
- Use peanuts in your cooking occasionally as they are a good source of resveratrol, the health-promoting compound also found in grapes.
- Challenge yourself to try a new fruit or vegetable every week. This will expand your culinary repertoire as well as provide you with good nutrition as well as a wider ranging diet.
- Use nonstick cookware to sauté or brown foods so that you don’t need to add fat, such as vegetable oil or butter. Fat-free cooking sprays or filling a spray bottle with olive oil also are good option.
- Grill, broil, poach, roast, or stir-fry your foods instead of frying them.
- Trim excess fat and skin from beef, pork, and poultry.
- Substitute lower fat dairy products, such as reduced-fat cheeses, fat-free sour cream, and fat-free yoghurt, for their higher fat counterpart.
- Rinse canned foods, such as tuna and vegetables, before using to wash away some of the excess sodium.
What is your best healthy cooking tip?