Buttermilk Ranch is made with just 3 base ingredients and a handful of seasonings and herbs. This is so good I could literally drink it!
It’s so much more than just a salad dressing, it can serve as a dip or a great all-purpose condiment to enhance vegetables, chicken wings, sandwiches, or even pizza crust!
Reading: buttermilk ranch dip
Honestly the Best Buttermilk Ranch Ever
- This recipe is so versatile, ranch can be used as a dressing or a dip (add more or less buttermilk)!
- A handful of simple ingredients are mixed together in a bowl, then it’s ready to enjoy!
- Use fresh herbs or dry.
- With under 100 calories per serving, this dressing can be enjoyed with so many foods!
Read more: How to Boil Corn on the Cob
BASE: Ranch dressing is made with a base of mayonnaise and sour cream, milk, or buttermilk is added to thin it out to the right consistency.
SEASONINGS: Onion powder and garlic powder are truly the ingredients that give ranch the flavor we look for.
FRESH HERBS: Fresh chives, parsley, & dill add the fresh herby flavor (and to be honest, I often add extra dill because it’s my favorite). You can substitute dried for fresh herbs if needed, use 1/3 the amount.
How to Make Ranch Dressing
It’s so quick & easy to make ranch dressing. With a few steps & minimal prep work, it will be ready in no time!
- Chop chives, dill, & parsley.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving. The flavors will develop over time.
How to Store Buttermilk Ranch
Read more: Fish Escabeche Recipe
Ranch dressing can be stored in plastic containers, or in glass canning jars in the fridge. It’s not appropriate for the freezer because of all the dairy and mayo it contains. Plan to make it weekly to never be without one of the tastiest dressings ever!
It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. You’ll probably discover it gets even better after it’s been stored for a few days and the flavors develop!
How to Use
This dip pairs perfectly with so many things. Ranch dip is especially good with a raw veggie plate piled with broccoli and cauliflower florets, carrot and celery sticks, and cherry tomatoes. It also tastes great with potato chips, french fries, or corn chips. Ranch dressing on a wedge salad is amazing, and don’t forget the wings & pizza!
Must-Try Homemade Dressings
- Avocado Dressing and Dip – healthy and full of flavor
- Thousand Island Dressing – made with ingredients already in your pantry!
- Honey Mustard Dressing – ready in 10 mins!
- Italian Dressing – great as a marinade
- Blue Cheese Dressing – perfect dip for just about anything!
This recipe originally appeared on howto-cook.com in Dec 2012. Photos updated August 2015.