10 of the best avocado recipes plus avocado nutrition information and more
Avocados are a healthy, delicious and versatile fruit. They are an easy fruit to ripen, store and prepare once you know how and there are countless delicious avocado recipes the whole family will enjoy.
Don’t feel guilty eating them in moderation as they contain more than 20 essential nutrients including vitamins A, C, and E, potassium, folate, anti-oxidants and mono-unsaturated fats (the good kind). The simple avocado is known to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol, to aid in the absorption of nutrients, to help the body maintain healthy blood pressure and to increase your metabolic rate. One average sized avocado has approximately 300 calories and 30g of fat so as with any food with high levels of good fats, eat regularly but not in excess.
Ripen your avocados in a fruit bowl. A hard fruit can take 4-5 days to ripen. You know they are ripe when they get darker and softer and when they give slightly at the stem end. To ripen them faster, store it in a paper bag with a banana, tomato or apple to speed up the ripening process. The ethylene gas these fruits produce helps speed up the ripening process.
Store in the fridge for a few days once ripe, to avoid discoloring and spoiling.
How to cut an Avocado
Once it is ripe and you are ready to eat it, run a knife right around the centre of the avocado. Hold the avocado in both hands and gently twist and pull to release the two halves.
Avocado flesh does go brown within 30 minutes or so once it’s in contact with the air. For this reason, you need to prepare your avocado dish as close to the time of eating as you can. A squeeze of lemon juice on the flesh should help slow down the discoloration.
10 Delicious Avocado Recipes
From snacks, to breakfasts, lunches and dinners, there’s no end to the tasty avocado recipes you can create with this versatile fruit.
1. Lemon Avocado Delight
A cool summery treat.
– Blend 1 avocado, 1 over-ripe ripe banana and about half a cup of lemon juice with 5 ice cubes.
2. Easy Avocado Salad Recipe
A simple, speedy side salad or add some tuna or chicken to turn it into a more substantial lunch.
– Chop 1 vine ripened tomato, 1 avocado and 3 green onions. Mix with a splash of lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper and oregano to taste.
3. Bacon and Avocado roll
A delicious, decadent lunch.
– Serve plain or with a dash of mayo. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Avocado on toast
A simple, healthy breakfast idea.
– Generously spread avocado on toast (no need for butter/margarine). Serve plain with a squeeze of lemon juice and some salt and pepper or top with some low fat cottage cheese.
5. Avocado and Smoked Salmon Bagel
An easy lunch that has the “special” factor and is good enough to serve to your girlfriends.
– Spread your bagel with cream cheese, avocado, smoked salmon and a few pieces of thinly sliced red onions. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Half Avocado with Dressing
A healthy snack-treat for any time of the day.
– Nothing beats a simple half avocado with your favorite dressing poured in the hole.
7. Best Homemade Guacamole
A healthy. pre-dinner snack and a great way to get some fruit and veg into the kids.
– Mash up 2 avocados with a fork, add chopped onion, chopped tomato, cilantro, lime juice, chopped jalapeno and sea salt. Play around with the ratios until you get it the way you like it. Serve with corn chips or chopped cucumber and carrot for a healthy snack or spread it on grilled chicken for a tasty dinner.
8. Lemony Cabbage Avocado Slaw
A colorful and healthy salad with a difference.
– Mix 6 cups finely shredded purple and green cabbage, 1 small red, orange or yellow pepper, chopped, 1 ripe avocado, diced, 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Toss all ingredients together until the avocado is creamed through the dish.
9. Crab Stuffed Avocado
An easy entrée or lunch idea.
– Remove the avocado stone. Mix crabmeat, cream and chili powder and stuff into the avocado halves. Top with grated parmesan cheese, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grill until browned.
10. Chicken, Avocado and Feta Pasta
A fast, mid-week dinner the whole family will enjoy.
– Mix together cooked pasta of your choice, shredded BBQ chicken, chopped avocado and cream in a saucepan until warmed through. Stir through feta and season with salt and pepper to taste.
My challenge this week for you is to try out one new avocado recipe.
If you have any other yummy, fast avocado recipes then please do share them in the comments section below.